We will be saying good bye to Steve at the end of the month as he follows his passion to Thunder Bay where he is heading off to teacher’s college. As a result, we’re looking for more hands!! If you’re interested, or know someone who is, contact us!!
Our official Job Description:
Organisation: Whole Circle Farm
Location: Acton, ON
Type: Full-time paid position, plus room and board (details below)
Duration: August to November 2014
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org , +1- 519-856-1384
Whole Circle Farm is seeking four to six farmers to help run our 6.5 acre garden which feeds a 200 member Community Supported Agriculture program and 2 markets for the remainder of the 2014 season. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking for more experience in a market garden, and who is interested in improving their skills and earning along the way.
Responsible for: carrying out the plans of the Garden Managers for the operation of the garden and associated sales venues (CSA, Markets and Wholesaling); maintaining the quality standards for the farm; assisting where needed to ensure optimal productivity.
- Direct seeding; transplanting; weeding; irrigating; harvesting; and processing
- May be managing CSA pick-ups and markets
- Maintaining quality standards for the farm
- Performing related work as required
Work Schedule and Compensation
While the hours will vary through the season, one can expect to work 55 hours each week.
In addition to a salary, farmers also receive:
- Room (includes utilities, phone, internet, laundry)
- Board (organic food sourced as locally as much as possible and food from the ONFC)
- Shared access to the farm vehicles
- One week paid vacation
- Two personal days
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexibility with changing plans
- Ability to work fast and efficiently
- Most work tasks are performed outdoors: must be able to work outside for long hours in the peak of summer heat and winter cold performing various tasks
- Clear understanding of the principles of organic farming
- Experience growing a wide diversity of vegetables
- Experience in a comparable garden
- Experience growing for CSAs
- Experience growing for market
- Experience with tractors and garden implements
- Experience with movable high tunnel/hoop house production
- Experience with Non-Violent Communication
Minimum one year agricultural/vegetable gardening experience.
Experience with sustainable or organic farming is preferred.
About Whole Circle Farm
Whole Circle is a wholly diversified family-style organic and biodynamic farm run by Maggie and Johann Kleinsasser. We are located between Georgetown and Guelph (20 minute drive from both) in Acton. Our business operations include forty head of pastured cattle, heritage grass-fed Tamworth pigs, grass-fed chickens and a 6.5 acre garden. The garden grows over 50 types of vegetables and supports a 200-member CSA and two markets (Georgetown and Wychwood Barns (Toronto)) in the summer, and a 100-member CSA and market (Wychwood Barns) in the winter.